Contractors Insurance in Rhode Island

Contractors who operate in Rhode Island are required to be registered by the state. To register, a contractor, remodeler, or subcontractor must file certain information with the Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board. Information that must be provided: driver’s license or picture ID, workers’ compensation account number, Contractors’ Registration application and Statement. If you are an out-of-state contractor, an agent of service or Attorney in Rhode Island is required. For information about registering your business, you can find answers at the State of Rhode Island Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board website. You can also find answers to the most frequently asked questions here.

As far as insurance, Rhode Island requires that all registered contractors carry workers’ compensation insurance and general liability insurance with a minimum limit of $500,000. Workers’ compensation insurance can be purchased through a commercial provider or the state of Rhode Island state- administered workers’ compensation fund. General liability insurance should be purchased from a commercial insurance company licensed in Rhode Island.

Protect Your Business with Contractors Insurance from Fairbanks Insurance

Contractors operating in Rhode Island are continually exposed to risks everyday while they operate their business. The most affordable way to protect you, your business, and your employees is to have a commercial insurance package that will financially protect you when the inevitable happens.

Here is What We Recommend:

General Liability

As the foundational coverage in your commercial insurance package, your general liability policy will provide the coverage you need for everyday risks such as:

  • Third-party bodily injury liability
  • Third-party property damage liability
  • Products Completed Operation
  • Personal Injury (libel, slander, and copyright infringement)
  • Defense costs

Workers' Comp

The state of Rhode Island’s labor board requires contractors (unless specifically excluded) to carry workers’ compensation insurance. This coverage will pay an employee’s medical expenses and lost wages if he or she is injured or becomes ill because of work-related activities.

Commercial Auto

Most contractors in Rhode Island use several types of vehicles and trailers for their business operations so they need commercial auto insurance because this coverage offers higher limits of liability, no limit on the number of vehicles on a policy, and no limit to the number of drivers to be insured. Simply put, a personal auto policy will leave your company financially exposed in the event of an at-fault accident.

Tool Coverage

Contractors use many types of tools and special equipment that can be very expensive to replace if they are damaged or stolen at the jobsite, in transit, or in storage. When your business is covered by a contractors’ inland marine policy, these risks are transferred to an insurance company that will pay to repair or replace your tools and equipment.

Surety Bonds

Although most state licensing boards require a surety bond before they will issue your license, you will likely need additional bonds for bidding on projects or working on government projects.

Fairbanks Insurance Brokers is a leader in providing contractors insurance and is dedicated to providing Contractors and Builders the finest insurance protection at the lowest rates throughout the construction community.

With savings up to 65% on General Liability, Workers’ Compensation, Commercial Auto and Bonds, you can count on us to do the heavy lifting and provide you the most competitive quote that includes all the discounts for which you qualify.


Please complete all fields

    Your Name *
    Your Email *
    Your Phone *
    Contractors License Number *
    Coverage Type